How do I find the right ‘fit’?
Finding the right fit doesn’t need to be difficult. Ask yourself some questions:
- What is the university’s culture? What values are important at the school?
- Do you want to live close to home? Do you want to move to a new city?
- Do you prefer to live in a larger or smaller area?
- Is it better for you to live on a large campus with a lot of students or on a smaller, quieter campus?
- What programs and activities does that university offer? Schools will have different societies, sports teams, volunteer opportunities and more for you to consider.
After you answer those questions, take some time to visit the schools that seem to be a good fit. Book campus tours. Do your research and ask people who go to those schools how they like it. Getting to know your university will go a long way toward ensuring your success, both inside and outside the classroom.
What else can I do to prepare for life in university?
There are a few quick ways to help you get ready for the big step you’re about to take.
Use social media to your advantage
A great way to get started on your search for the right school is to follow the social media accounts of universities you are interested in attending. It’s also a chance to connect with other students who are trying to make the same choices as you are.
Get familiar with your new home
Your school will become a home away from home, whether or not you actually move away. Becoming familiar with it and getting to know your way around will be a big help and take at least one worry off your mind.
Don’t stress out
Prepare by reminding yourself you don’t have to make all your life-changing decisions right away. A lot of students end up changing their minds — and even their degree programs — after they’ve already started at university. Your world is about to open up in a big way, so explore everything it has to offer.